Paper Mache Angler Fish – Wilburine is Finished
After just over two months work, Wilburine is finished. The past week has been very busy for me so she had to wait. Angler fish are not visually very exciting so the paint job is basic. I used Naples Yellow for the base with touches of yellow and red oxide. The inside of the mouth is several reds. I added titanium white to the spines to make them stand out as more dangerous. The story on the braces is funny. After creating the top teeth, a friend on Facebook commented that she needed braces. I thought support she (actually he at the time but that is another story) was a teenager and needed braces, not to straighten but to make them more crooked. Adding the braces was an interesting challenge.
I learned so much creating her. Now on to the next model. Not sure what it will be. I have been studying several fish including frogfish.
There were two websites that inspired me.
- Gourmet Paper Mache One of my favourite sites
- Ultimate Paper Mache Great ideas on unconventional paper mache
What surprised me was the variety of materials and glues available as well a paper mache clay.
List of the posts about constructing Wilburine.
- Wilburine gets gessoed
- All about fins
- Wilbur is a girl
- Operculum (gill covers)
- Adding eyes
- Adding "braces"
- Lower teeth
- Tongue and mouth lining
- Creating the Paper Mache Angler Fish Body
- Angler Fish
Here are the final shots of Wilburine.