Paper Mache Angler Fish Teeth

So far we looked at:

This one I found very challenging on several counts including:

  • What to make the teeth out of
  • How to attach them
  • How to create¬†the gums and lips around them
  • How to finish it all

For teeth I thought about using Fimo. Fimo is a name for a brand of polymer clay made by German company Staedtler. Dan (the monster-man) Reeder at Gourmet Paper Mache uses Fimo for his dragon teeth. My concern was they were too thick for my fish. I had a thought - why not bend coffee stirs and cut them into teeth.

Bending Coffee Stirs

I bent many coffee stirs then cut them to form teeth with scissors. The final fish has 61 teeth so every few hours I would remove the dry stirs and put more wet ones on the board.

Small teeth ready to mount

I did the top teeth first. The inside where the fabric attached was still raw. I glued on the teeth by applying some glue, press into place and hold for about 10 seconds. I could then let go.

1. All top teeth attached

2. Yarn edges glued on and lip started

3. Lip complete

Next was to finish the interior and exterior of the lip. Between each pair of teeth was a gap and the end of the lining cloth showed. On the top it is not as important inside as you have to look from below to see that area. I still wanted to work out how to do it.

Mixing chopped egg carton pulp with acrylic paint and medium

If you go with a fibre glass comparison I wanted a loose pulp that I could mix with red paint and acrylic medium. My solution was to chop up a pulp egg carton with a spice blade grinder. The result is a pulp fibre that could be mixed to form a paste. Using a palette knife the paste is applied to the edge of the lip and between the teeth. As the teeth were going to be painted white I was not worried about some red getting on them. In the picture below the inside and outside of the lip are complete as well the gaps between the teeth filled in.

Upside down view of the completed top teeth

It was now time to work on the lower teeth but putting in the top teeth had provided many lessons learned. In the next post I will document how the lower teeth were put in more efficiently.

Comments are Disabled